Welcome to Frank's Games

This blog is where I talk about games, write gaming session reports, review my favorite Euro Games, and occasionally provide news on upcoming releases. 
I hope you enjoy it. If you're new to this kind of gaming, and are interested in learning more, I would be glad to hear from you. I encourage you to subscribe and get email notification of any additions I make to my blog.

Thursday, April 16, 2015

SO MANY YEARS - SO MANY GAMES. I haven't posted to this site since 2011. Didn't think I could (for some now forgotten reason). But today I tried to see what I could do and voila(!) it worked! So here I am catching up on all the games I have played in the past 4 years. The list is too long, and I honestly can't remember all that has happened. But the past four years have brought numerous great games to my table and to my groaning shelves. The greatest of which is TERRA MYSTICA! This has become my all-time favorite game. Others that have been a hit for me include Heroes of Normandie, Lewis & Clark, Russian Railroads, Castles of Burgundy, Istanbul, Machi Koro, Alien Frontiers, Kingdom Builder, Snowdonia, and Splendor. All of these games have had their moments in the limelight (though most have faded as the next wave of games arrived on shore). Then there are several that have arrived, but haven't been able to get to the table for various reasons - Nations, Amerigo, and Panamax to be exact. Micro-games have also been arriving and getting some attention, including: Machi Koro, Tiny Epic Kingdoms, Tiny Epic Defenders, Harbour, and Love Letter. I have only just begun. There are more - Eclipse, Kings of Israel, KeyFlower, Seasons, Navigator, Imperial 2030, Spyrium, Antics, Fleet, 8-Minute Empire: Legends & Lost Cities, expansions for numerous games, Village, A Few Acres of Snow, etc. etc., etc. So how do I rate the games that have come and gone over these years? That would be a very difficult task for me, but I could perhaps list them in categories: Top-of-the-Mountain games; Close-but-not-quite-top-of-the-mountain; Doesn't get played, etc. Top Of The Mountain: Terra Mystica - unquestioned # 1. Like Attika, from the moment I first read about it, I was in love with it. And playing it only increased my love for it. The best of the best IMO. Kingdom Builder - this game just kept growing on us. Simple, at first blush seems to be very random, but the more you play the more this game shines. Like Attika, it scratches that 'simple-to-learn-and-simple-to-play' but 'deeper-than-it-seems' itch for me. Heroes of Normandie - if you love war-games, but want something short & fun Castles of Burgundy - the best Feld game IMO. Russian Railroads - so much goodness, just not a favorite of my gaming friends Istanbul - good AND short! Splendor - This has to be one of the best quick games I've played Close-but-not-quite-top-of-the-Mountain: Machi Koro - a bit too random to rank with the above, but a fun game to play Eclipse - an excellent game, but too long to make it to the top of the mountain Snowdonia - Same as Eclipse...a bit too long for our AP prone group A Few Acres of Snow - Great, but only a 2-player, and not quite as fulfilling as Heroes of Normandie Lewis & Clark - top of the mountain for me, but not for my group. It just takes too long. Navigador - an excellent game, but somehow it doesn't quite 'grab' our group Seasons - a fun game, but you do have to play it a while to understand the various cards and what combos work best. Doesn't get played: Panamax (seems complex) Nations (group doesn't want to buckle-down-to-learn) Amerigo (just doesn't seem to be chosen by our group) KeyFlower (a great game, IMO, but I can't get our group to play) 8-Minute Empire: Legends (everyone thinks it's too simple) Well, this is just brief overview. So much, much more has happened, but these are the highlights of the past 4 years.

No comments: