Welcome to Frank's Games

This blog is where I talk about games, write gaming session reports, review my favorite Euro Games, and occasionally provide news on upcoming releases. 
I hope you enjoy it. If you're new to this kind of gaming, and are interested in learning more, I would be glad to hear from you. I encourage you to subscribe and get email notification of any additions I make to my blog.

Saturday, October 4, 2008

Games On Pre-Order

I always say I'm not going to buy many games this year - and then I do! However, I have become a bit more selective and purchase fewer games in recent years. This fall, however, I have a number of games on "back-log." That is, games I've had on order for some time, but am waiting for them to be released. In addition, I have other games on order that are waiting for the back-ordered games to be released so I can save on shipping. The games on order (most should be arriving sometime this month) include:
1.  Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm (Race for the Galaxy Expansion) 
2.  Rails of Europe (Railroad Tycoon in Europe)
3.  Dominion (Greatly anticipated new release, scheduled to arrive later this month)
4.  Carcassonne: Abbey & Mayor (an expansion for Carcassonne)
5.  Power Grid: China & Korea (an expansion for Power Grid)
6.  Tribune (recently arrived in the USA though published in 2007)
7.  After The Flood (soon to be released in Europe - I should get it in about 8 weeks)

All of these are excellent games and/or expansions to excellent games. I'm not sure how often I'll realistically get to play most of these, however. Certainly, Race: The Gathering Storm will get played as I play Race a LOT. Dominion will undoubtedly get played a lot because it takes only 30 minutes or so to play, and is a great game. The rest will get played rarely. Rails is a longer game as is Tribune and After the Flood. Carcassonne: Abby & Mayor will not be played a lot because I don't play a lot of Carcassonne. Power Grid is likewise a long game and so China & Korea will not get played very often.

Nevertheless, these are games i really have to have! For the few times I will get to play them, I'm sure I'll enjoy them. They will mostly get played when I go to Gaming Cons and at our occasional Marathon Game Days. 

Strangely, though, when you get "hooked" on games (as I am), you simply feel that you must have these games! After The Flood, for example, is a 3-hour game playable ONLY with 3 players! So, it will rarely make it to the table. No matter - this one is a limited edition game (only 1500 made, signed by the designer), and its theme (Sumer, right after the Flood), the reputation of the designer, and the fact that this is the second in the new Tree Frog Series - made this one a "must have" for me. 

So, October of 2008 is an exciting time for me, Game-wise. And to add to the excitement, this is the month of Essen - the great Game Exhibition in Essen, Germany, when all the new games are released. I'm already studying the huge list of new games to appear and making my list! :) So far, LaHavre is definitely on that list (by the designer of Agricola, and getting good reviews). But, I don't have much else on the list. I'm sure that once the "gang" starts sending reports from Essen, several games will come to the fore. 


No comments: